ESD 11 COMMUNICATIONS
The Harris County Emergency Services District 11 Communication Center, known as Control, operates 24/7, 365 days a year, staffed by skilled Emergency Medical Dispatchers. Control provides life-saving instructions to 911 callers awaiting ambulance arrival and relays critical information to responding medical professionals, ensuring efficient emergency response.
Control is recognized as an ACE Accredited Center of Excellence by the International Academies of Emergency Dispatch. This prestigious designation highlights our commitment to excellence in emergency dispatch services. As an ACE-accredited agency, we enjoy increased visibility in community service, enhanced support in litigation and liability management, and improved recruitment and retention, affirming the value and impact of our team’s work.
Control serves as a Secondary Public Safety Answering Point (SPSAP) in the Greater Harris County 9-1-1 network. Our Control team is trained by and certified by the International Academy of Emergency Dispatch.
WHEN TO CALL 9-1-1
Any time a person believes that urgent medical care is required, especially if the situation is potentially life-threatening, call 9-1-1 immediately! Some examples of life-threatening emergencies include:
- Chest Pain
- Sudden Loss of Consciousness
- Weakness on One Side of your Body
- Severe Burns
- Coughing or Vomiting Blood
- Allergic Reactions
- Shortness of Breath
- Sudden Slur of Speech or Difficulty Speaking
- Severe Stomach Pain
If you believe the sick or injured person’s condition could become life-threatening on the way to the hospital, there is a delay in getting to the hospital, or moving the person could cause further injury, call 9-1-1 immediately.
PROVIDING INFORMATION TO 9-1-1
Stay calm when calling 9-1-1. Be ready to answer questions from the 9-1-1 dispatcher:
- The location of the emergency. If you do not know the address, look for landmarks, street signs, or buildings.
- The phone number you are calling from.
- Be prepared to repeat the address or location and the phone number you are calling from.
- Details about the medical emergency and details about the patient experiencing the medical event.
OUR PARTNER AGENCIES
We are grateful to work alongside many different partner agencies ranging from law enforcement, fire departments, and other EMS organizations.